Monday, March 23, 2009

Job Fair Report - NW Territorial Mint at Emerald Downs

I have to say, after reading about how many thousands of people showed up at the Tacoma Rainiers' job fair a month or so ago, I was expecting a teem of humanity at Emerald Downs Sunday. But it was not so, at least in the morning when I was there. This was my first job fair, so here is a report for anyone who, like me, may not have ever been to one, and who wants to know what to expect.

I got there at 10:30 a.m. and got in line for the 11 a.m. opening. I had to negotiate a kind of maze of barricades to get in line (ah good, passed the maze test!), but it wasn't nearly filled up with people. In fact, I was only the 18th person in line. By the time the door opened, I estimated about 36 people in line total. It was cold, wet and raw outside, and I was the only one in a dress and nylons. There were maybe three guys in suits, some nice slacks outfits, and the rest were dressed probably for the production jobs. Lucky them, they were warm.

When the doors were opened, we were glad to note that the heat was on. From what the other folks in line had told me, that is not often the case out there. The fellow behind me had been at a job fair there the day before, and said that it was colder inside than out. We filed up to the first of about three areas. Here is where we gave our resume and name, and waited to be called to the second area for a quick screening. I was lucky in that I seemed to be the only one there for an accounting position, so I was called as soon as I sat down.

At the second area, there were many people at desks screening different positions. My screening took barely a few minutes, and then I was led to the third area, which was also filled with many different interviewers at desks scattered throughout. I was led to the finance representative, who asked me the usual questions about my experience, abilities, job philosophy, etc. I was told I may be called in a week or two if I am chosen to come in for further interviewing.

And that was it! A quick and painless process, run by pleasant folks who had it together. I was back in Tacoma before noon. See you at the next job fair!

No comments:

Post a Comment