Thursday, March 26, 2009

Jobless in Tacoma - Healthy on the Cheap

What an awesome day! Since I had put out a ton of resumes this week and was in a stall, I decided to blow out the cobwebs. So I packed a picnic lunch, put on a ton of layers, and got out on the bicycle at 9:45. My first destination was the Mad Hat Tea Company downtown, which I've been wanting to check out for a long time now--not only for their teas, but to post a note on their barter board. By the time I got there, my fingers were frozen (in spite of the two pairs of thick gloves I had on), so it was heaven to walk into that warm, cozy, welcoming place full of couches, books, artwork and interesting stuff. http://www.madhattea.com/

Tobin not only let me bring my bike in, but insisted I try a few different green teas. I ended up staying there nearly an hour, talking to him and some other customers who wandered in. They have really got a great business going there, and I think it would be fun to have a Saturday morning tea party there sometime with a bunch of folks. I did buy a bag of specialty tea for $4.50, but that was the only money I spent all day, and it will last a long time.

After that, I biked over to Dock Street and up over to Ruston way. A little before noon, it was warm enough for me to stop to eat my lunch and read my library book. I had brought a hard boiled egg, some jelly toast, an apple and some nuts, all from home. Food always tastes better after exercise and fresh air, and I pretty much inhaled it.

The next leg was going up at Ferdinand and over to Vassault/Narrows Drive, then south to catch the trail that goes along Highway 16. I ended up taking that east all the way to the end, a little past Steele at S. 25th. Then I headed north back home.

The icing on the cake came when I got a call to come in for an interview next Wednesday morning. Guess I'd better get a few more rides in before I lose my freedom!

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to spend a day with you riding and drinking tea - sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete